Friday, October 25, 2013

Treasures to be Found....

I posted a few weeks ago about daughter moving......
Well - while  mowing and tidying up the back yard they found it was not going to be an easy task to mow in the Fall.  They are now the owners of 4 pecan trees, 1 large black walnut, and a hickory nut tree.

Thrilled over the pecan trees ( looking forward to pecan pies, spiced pecans, etc.), as long as they can beat the squirrels to the harvest.
 Future pecan pie...
 The black walnut tree?
After they realized the amount of work involved, the hulls and shells staining everything they touch, resulting in the small amount of actual nut meat recovered - they now have someone else coming to  claim them.
 The hickory nut tree? Well, the squirrels will benefit from that one.
The area where the sun is shining - there are plans for a garden come Spring.
Have a feeling they need to research what not to plant as certain  creatures will love to dine on the fruits of their labor.  Yep! I am talking about deer, rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, etc. !!

Linking up with "Mosaic Monday"
                           "Outdoor Wednesday"
                           "Whats It Wednesday"
                           "Share Your Cup"
Have a great day!
Dab of This and That

ETA: Thanks Rita for the comment about not planting tomatoes anywhere near the walnut tree.  I looked it up and found there are many things that won't survive/do well under/around the trees and am passing this info on to my daughter.  Could not find a way to thank you by email or a blog, so hope you see this.

19 comments:

20 North Ora said...

Those squirrels will take care of what you don't want and probably a lot of what you do want!!

Judy

Rita said...

One thing I know for sure is to not grow tomatoes any place near where the walnut tree was or walnuts dropped. Tomatoes won't grow there.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

They will definitely have a lot of work ahead, but so well worth it.

Our Hopeful Home said...

I've never had pecan pie, but always wondered about it. Bet yours is tasty!

Domestic Designer said...

Nothing like fresh pecans! They are lots of work but well worth the effort. Hope all is well! Thanks for your kind words about my Mom.
Blessings!
DD

eileeninmd said...

How cool, to have their own supply of pecans and nuts. I am sure the wildlife will enjoy too. Have a happy week ahead!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Nut trees are so beautiful in the Fall. I love pecans and even stopped at a pecan place in Georgia to buy some on our trip! I think I'll snack on some tonight! Have a good week!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I was going to tell you not to plant under the black walnut but I see you already know. I have a pecan tree but lots of the pecans inside are not good. You have to get to them pretty quickly or they deteriorate.

Poppy said...

Hi Glenda,

Enjoyed your pictures of the raw fruit and the story behind how much work it is, indeed, to harvest tree nuts. We have a little patch of walnut trees and last month my husband did all the dirty work! The bounty varies each year, and this year wasn't as good as previous ones. One can only take on what he/she can handle, otherwise, it truly becomes a chore!

Have a great week!

Poppy

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

Those pecans are a gold mine!! I am going to send you my address so you can mail me some once they are spiced/cooked/ sweetened...hehe. Hope daughter is doing well. I haven't even logged onto blogland in the past two weeks until today.

Lorrie said...

All those pecans will surely be welcome and I hope the critters don't get them all. Walnuts are a lot of work to harvest. I think it's great to grow food.

Patty Antle said...

Yummy pecan pie - wow to have pecans in your yard! We had a lemon tree when we lived in California and I thought that was really something after coming from the midwest. I hope your daughter and family will be very happy there.

Jeannie Marie said...

We had a black walnut tree when I was growing up and honestly I don't think we ever harvested them. I would now, as black walnut is soooo good and worth the trouble. I picture it as giving people something to do in the winter before TV, movies etc.

Light and Voices said...

A pecan tree in their yard...what a blessing. It will be a race every year to see who gets the harvest the squirrels or your daughter.
JM Illinois
U.S.A.

Indrani said...

That is so much work but then rewarding too.

Latane Barton said...

How lucky for them to have pecan trees. I have two and the darn things don't ever have nuts on them... well, hardly ever. All I get is fallen leaves.

bj said...

Lucky them....nut trees are wonderful...at least, the pecan trees. :)
I just linked up to follow you. Come by to see me soon. :)

Debby Ray said...

I grew up with black walnut trees in the yard...what a mess they are! Mty parents loved them....me, not so much. They will really stain your hands too!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Pecan pie is my favorite pie. Yum! How fun to harvest them yourself. I love black walnuts too, but yes a lot of work. Sounds like they have a lot of fun projects planned for the future. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann