Sunday, May 6, 2012

Dab of This and That

A while back I posted about a small change on my table.....Remember this rare sight?
I said it would not stay that neat for long. I was right - it rapidly went back to the messy look......
Well, I had to get busy and get it cleaned up again, as family came in town Saturday for an overnight stay, and the table space was needed. They have now left, so will enjoy the neat/tidy look for a brief time.
Actually, the clutter has already started to return as I am sitting at the table now with notebook typing. I gave up a while back trying to come up with a workspace that does not have to be cleared constantly. Think I am going to put that back on the "List".
Actually, if I would get rid of some of my junk treasures around here, I would have more room to work with. Of course that is a whole nother subject. sigh

My Time Ran Out: A bit over a year ago, I did a little cutting on some expenses here and there - one being my cable service as I was paying for so many channels I never watch. One of the changes was that I would no longer have HGTV. I continued to get the channel and figured I misunderstood something. Turns out it just took them a year to change my package and it has now disappeared. I rarely watched the channel anymore - Sadly not what it used to be. Just my opinion.

Just Curious: When doing a little net surfing, I ran across a site and there was a post about Spring cleaning. Some were commenting about "washing walls". I remember using wall paper cleaner (looked like a big wad of pink bubble gum) to clean the wall paper in the house when growing up, but don't remember ever washing the walls. OK - When I do a major cleaning job, I scrub/sanitize certain wall areas in the bathrooms and kitchen, spot check door facings, switch plates, etc. to see if I need to wipe off finger prints, smudges, etc., as well as use a long handled duster to get any dust bunnies/cobwebs lurking in corners, behind furniture, etc.. Normally, I just wipe off something when I notice it, or if can't stop to do it right then, I put it on my "list" and do later. But to actually "wash the walls" down from ceiling to floor - No. Am I the only one that does not " wash their walls" ? Am I misinterpreting what they are saying?
ETA: Now that I sit here and typed all that about washing walls, I guess there are certain types of heating systems that could cause a film on the walls and washing them would be an alternative to having to repaint so often. Hmmmmm!?!?

Off to cover some gray - not talking about paint either.

Just another Dab of This and That ramble.
Have a great week!
Glenda

17 comments:

Christine Wallace said...

Hi Glenda,
I wished my table looked like yours when I am working. Mine looks like a small tornado went over it by the time I am finished creating.
Washing Walls? Geez, I am lucky if my windows get washed. These spring cleaners sound like they really get into their spring cleaning. LOL. Take care Glenda, and I enjoyed your post!!!
Christine

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Hi Glenda, Your table doesn't look cluttered at all with your beautiful work on top. Washing walls? Are you kidding? Seriously I do have a girlfriend that washes her walls, that is not going on my list of things to do anytime soon. :-))
hugs ~lynne~

PAT said...

I agree about HGTV. I can only watch so many episodes of House Hunters!!

I am determined to get that breakfast room table cleared!! Moved the little round table and four chairs to the "lodge". So I will need to get the breakfast room table cleaned up, one way or other...at least by fall.LOL We have been eating on the porch and patio.

Our Hopeful Home said...

I have always joked that the only time I clean is when we have company (it's very sad, but true). Your table looks beautiful. I also enjoy that small window of time when the house is picked up and clean....then I blink my eyes and it's all gone. Oh, I wipe down the walls from time to time, but then I have kids!!!!!

Our Hopeful Home said...

I have always joked that the only time I clean is when we have company (it's very sad, but true). Your table looks beautiful. I also enjoy that small window of time when the house is picked up and clean....then I blink my eyes and it's all gone. Oh, I wipe down the walls from time to time, but then I have kids!!!!!

Brenda Pruitt said...

I don't clean my walls, and I rarely hit my baseboards either. My house looks clean, but I don't sweat it much. (Notice I said "looks.")
Brenda

Donna said...

I don't clean walls now either! I did years ago when we first married (35 years ago) but after Amber was diagnosed things like that I didn't take time for. I had more important things to do with my time!
I hate to clean!
Hugs,
Donna
I missed your post below and the jewelry is gorgeous!

Kim said...

Hi Glenda. I agree about HGTV - too many of the same shows, just different people. Very boring. And I do the same as you as far as washing the walls. I only wash the whole wall when I am prepping to paint. Other than that - just here and there as needed. I do hate to see dirty finger prints though - it's a pet peeve of mine. Magic Eraser is great for spot cleaning walls.
Have a great week!
xoxo,
Kim

Sue said...

Nobody washes entire walls anymore, do they? I know that was a given back in the "olden days." LOL HGTV is not a channel I am enamored with anymore. The shows have absolutely no merit. Bring back the old shows!

Sue said...

I agree about HGTV, I used to love that channel but now every time I turn it on it seems someone is buying a house and it is generally in another country. Boring.

As for the walls...I have done it here twice (been here 9 years). I just put a damp towel on a broom and went over all of the walls because we live on a field and I know from how often I have to clean the white woodwork that the walls must get very dusty too. It doesn't look any different, but at least I felt like I tried to help our allergies!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Your table looks pretty darn neat for being messy; at least it looks organized.
I rub down parts of the walls in the kitchen once in a while if it needs it and in the bathroom too. I have NEVER washed walls just for the sake of spring cleaning and never noticed that they needed it either. I do use a long pole with a rag or the vacuum cleaner attachment to get any cob webs or other obvious yuk. At least I'm not the only one.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Ha-ha - no wall washing here either! The only time I would wash a wall is if it were going to be painted and maybe no even then :)

Glad to see your pretty table again! I love having a desk but it gets really cluttered too but if you only need your dining room table now and then when you have family over, then why not make use of it.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

No washing walls here. I do dust them once or twice a year.

Amazing that it took them a year to take HGTV off! I rarely watch it. I used to love it so but that was back when they had real decorating AND gardening shows on. Not just House Hunters etc!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

I had to laugh at your first couple of pics because my dining room table is usually all cluttered up with crafting supplies too(unless Company is coming).
And about the walls...when my kiddos were little and I was expecting out of town guests, I always just painted over the walls down the hall. They were white (but with lots of little fingerprints and smudges). It was just a whole lot faster to paint over it all and make it look new and fresh again. : )
Take care,
M.L.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Girl, your messy table looks like it's an orderly mess. I recognize it...it's the way I make messes too! Heeehehehe!

I damp sponge my wallpaper a couple times a year. The walls that are ruff painted I run the vacuum head over occasionally. When they look dingy...I repaint.

I'm kinda twisted when it comes to cleanin' anyway. :o)

God bless ya sweetie and have yourself one fine day!!! :o)

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

A good clean up detail. your table looks lovely. It's that time of year to spring clean. I think I would rather work in the garden, than clean house. Thanks so much for stopping in and leaving me sweet thoughts.

Cheryl said...

That is the cleanest "messy" table I've ever seen lol