Monday, July 26, 2010

Dab of This and That

Thought I was going to be posting pictures of my new kitchen/dining area floor this week - but how does that old saying go "the best laid plans..........."? The person who has to install some new 1/4 round in a couple of places and touch up where all the 1/4 round had to be removed, then replaced had to reschedule. Actually the floor got laid 2 days earlier than scheduled. Last Tues. morning, I am drinking my morning coffee, hair not combed, no makeup on, and on the computer . Then the phone rings around 8:20 and I hear this voice say "are you ready"? My first thought was "for what ???", then realized who was on the phone. Long story short - They were coming 2 days earlier than originally scheduled!!!

NO !!! I was NOT ready !!! There was another shelf full of breakables in the china cabinet to be removed, etc., etc. First priority was to comb hair, and put on makeup - would not want to scare anybody off ! Then ran back down stairs and started moving the small stuff, and the living room ended up looking like a tornado hit. I have not moved that fast in years!

The men got here and the first big piece of furniture they started to move was the cabinet. They looked at the miniature general store and stopped in their tracks ! I told them I was not going to take all that out, so if it fell over, it would just have to fall over, and I taped the doors so they would not come open They moved it 2 times, and the only thing I see toppled over is some mini canned goods on one shelf, and a couple of other items - Good job ! :-D
One of the men asked what the small cake stand and dome would be used for (it was empty at the time). I was so tempted to say "decorate it and use it as a cloche", but behaved and told him I used it for cupcakes, muffins, etc. :-D
Since then, I have had a house full celebrating a couple of birthdays, so have a couple of left over cupcakes. :-D
Photobucket Trying not to eat one for a couple of days, since I "over indulged" this last weekend with BBQ and the "fixins", but it was so good.

Speaking of food: I had my first vine ripened tomato sandwich of the season a couple of weeks ago, and could not decide why it just did not taste the same. Then the "light bulb" came on - I used white whole wheat bread and mayo with olive oil !!!! It should have been plain white sandwich bread and miracle whip !!!
Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend !
Glenda

14 comments:

PAT said...

Wow Glenda! What an adventure. Sounds like stuff that goes on around here!

Looking forward to seeing your floors.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Any time I've hired someone to do something at my house, I always end up in the "hurry up and wait" mode! I can't believe they came 2 days early. They always show up at my house at least 2 days late and without calling to let me know. It will all be so worth it when everything's back in place. Can't wait to see it. We had a little shower this afternoon, but I don't think it's any cooler - just more humid! Hope you are staying cool. laurie

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Oh no when they come early like that it is just crazy running around trying to get it ready. Glad you go the floor laid!

The Tattered Cottage said...

Hi Glenda -
WOW...you have had a lot going on! I can't wait to see the new floors.
First ripened tomato sandwich...I like mine fresh from the garden, still warm from the sun, on rye with jack cheese and mayo.....YUM
Toni ♥

Debbiedoos said...

Holy cow...I just don't know how I would have handled that! Well sounds like you did alright:) Can't wait! Debbie

Donna said...

My house has been in chaos too! Yours looks good compared to mine. I have turned my old sewing room into a pantry and I have been trying to organize.
Our tomatoes are about gone for the year :(
Hugs,
Donna

Sue said...

Well, I'm glad they called you. I had a guy show up here to do some work and I was still in my jammies (it was before 8:00 a.m.). I grabbed a robe and let him get to work. I guess early is better than late!

Barb said...

Wow, Glenda, you have an exciting life going on there. Loved hearing about it. :-)

Barb ♥

Anonymous said...

Hi Glenda. I've had that happen to me before, too. Works better than an alarm clock. Tomato sandwiches with miracle whip are the best!

From the Old InkWell said...

Looking forward to seeing your remodeling! I'm with you on the tomato sandwich - Spoken like a true southerner!

Kim said...

Well I would never have known about the Miracle Whip. Girl you are just too funny! I could just picture you scurrying around to get ready for those men. I guess women are all the same aren't we? Well I can't wait to see the new floors!
xoxo,
Kim

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I had that happen with the heating/cooling people! I only had about 15 min to throw on some clothes but at least I didn't have to move anything!

Tomato sandwiches are the best and I always use Miracle Whip. Just never got into using mayo for anything!

Manuela

xinex said...

It's going to be so pretty after you put everything in place, Glenda. You are lucky the workers are early. In our part of town, you have to wait almost a year to get things done. They never show up when they promise. Your general store is so cute!...Christine

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

I can't wait to see the new floor! Sounds like a busy time at your house.
Take Care and have a nice Thursday.
Cindy