Saturday, August 2, 2014

Dab of This and That Ramble

The Good....
It is the little things:   A beautiful bouquet of roses from someone's garden,
delivered in a pint size canning jar.....

along with lemon and cherry friendship bread.
Wrapped in saran wrap and in plastic bag does not make for a clear picture.
 A beautiful new crocheted throw...
which I will just admire now, and enjoy its warmth next Winter.
*******
And The Bad.
Warning - Not a good ending:  Daughter sent me this pic of 4 baby birds in a nest in a crepe myrtle in her yard.  I ask if she could try for a clearer picture.
A day or two later, she said her heard a loud commotion of birds squawking and said it sounded like a fight was going on, and their kitty was having a fit at the window trying to see what was happening. She said she had  seen some kind of hawk around a lot, so it was more than likely the culprit.

 Later that morning she went out and saw the damage. 2 of the babies gone, one in nest appeared to be dead, and the other was out in the yard with the Mother circling over it.  Little red headed cupid was NOT happy about the situation and kept telling the Mother to come get her baby.

Later, she, along with my grandson and redheaded cupid went to check the situation out, and see if anything could be done.  However, the Mother bird wanted no part of them being around and started dive bombing them, so they had to run for cover. Last they saw, the baby was hopping off and appeared to be trying to fly, even tho it seemed to young. Later there was no sign of either the Mother or the baby bird. Can only hope Mom got it to safety.
*******
Hard to believe it is August already, and most schools in this area start back this upcoming week. 

Another Dab of This and That Ramble
Glenda 

13 comments:

Terra said...

What a distressing bird drama, and what a pretty crocheted throw, and the roses and breads.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

The good is so good and such a wonderful gift. So sad about the little birds, I do hope baby and mom made it to safety.

Our Hopeful Home said...

Lovely flowers, and bread looks yummy! It's always hard to watch the birds get preyed upon. I've seen it happen more times than I care to remember.
xoKAthleen

bj said...

I hate to hear this kind of story but I know it happens a lot.
Pretty flowers.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Lovely flowers, bread and throw, Glenda! I've been thinking about doing an afghan or throw but haven't gotten out of the 'thinking stage' yet :)

We have hawks in our neighborhood too. Luckily, I haven't witnessed them doing what they do. They can have all of the chipmunks they want, though!

Cheryl said...

Oh my.. sorry to hear about the birds. *sigh* I had a crow one time swoop down and fly off with a plastic egg I had in a nest outside my front door :-P Would have loved to have seen that birds reaction lol
You got a lot of fabulous treasures there. I was just thinking that I'd like to crochet something... maybe a blanket like the one you've gotten is in order!
big hugs,
Cheryl

Lynn Stevens said...

With the beautiful things in life there has to be some bad, I suppose it makes us cherish those beautiful things more. hope mommy and baby made it to safety!
hugs Lynn

xinex said...

I hope the baby birds are ok, Glenda. The flowers are pretty though....Christine

Donna said...

I hope the little bird survived too! I love the little things too and the bread looks delish!
My flowers are not doing well with the heat especially my impatiens. We finally had rain a couple of hours ago so maybe they will survive.
School began here today! It's too hot to think about school.
As always thank you for your sweet comments!
Hugs,
Donna

Amy Burzese said...

Yummy and beautiful. Too bad about the baby birds. We had a tragedy with a nest of eggs this spring too. One day there were 4 eggs, then there were 2 and then none. I saw crows right near the area during that time and that was unusual.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Such pretty roses and such a pretty throw, and oh how delicious lemon cherry bread sounds. Lucky you. So sorry about the birds. I know the Little Redhead was heartbroken over that. laurie

The Old Parsonage said...

Like I said - not a lover of "wild animals" but I don't like to hear or see things like this either.

poor little cupid!

Leann

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Awww too bad about the hawk. We have a couple that circle our neighborhood. The other day one was sitting in the middle of my backyard and he had just caught a squirrel!

The bread sounds yummy!