Saturday, October 4, 2014

Just Another Dab of This and That Ramble...

Fall has definitely shown its face around here.  Woke up to the temps in the 40's this morning - I am NOT ready for this!! Not seeing the Fall colors yet, but that is normal around here.  Temps are suppose to be in high 70's - low 80's this next week which is fine with me.

My daughter chopped up and brined  cucumbers,  onions and  green bell peppers with lots of pickling spices, etc.. Cooked it up...
and canned some yummy relish that will taste delish with a pot of beans and corn bread this Winter.
What do you do when you have already sterilized the number of jars and lids required for the recipe, and the recipe did not make enough for the number of jars stated needed?? Simple - She whipped up a batch of grape jelly to fill the extra jars.
Stocking for for the Winter months - definitely a good thing!
Click on picture to enlarge.
Just to add:  All this canning activity is taking place in my daughter's kitchen - Not mine!
Are you stocking up and preparing for the Winter months?

Linking up with: "Mosaic Monday"
Dab of This and That
Glenda



8 comments:

bj said...

I don't can but we do put veggies and such up in the freezer. I love doing that. I love getting our large freezer full of veggies,casseroles, freezer jams...just makes one feel proud.:)

Your canning looks great.

20 North Ora said...

Glenda - Good Morning! I have always be envious of people who can like you do. That is one thing I have never done. My Mom did but I guess I just assumed she was always going to be around to do it for me. Your relish sounds wonderful and how great it will be to have it in the dead of winter.

Judy

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Your daughter's relish looks delicious, Glenda! I'm oven-drying some tomatoes and freezing others whole to use in soups and stews this winter. I also cut, wash and freeze herbs like thyme sprigs and chopped parsley to use in the winter too.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Everything looks absolutely delicious! I wish I could think this far ahead. Thanks for sharing Glenda.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I don't put anything up for the winter other than to bag the carrots from the garden and store in the fridge downstairs.
The jars of relish and jelly look delicious.
Thank you for linking to Mosaic Monday.

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

Oh that relish sounds delish! I have never tried that. And your not ready for the 40's temps?? I so enjoyed them! Hoping for some fall colors soon, but it has been so dry here, the leaves have just fallen off looking brown and dead. Our grass looks as if it has been set on fire!

Donna said...

Looks like yummy fun!

Our Hopeful Home said...

Wish I could get motivated to do some canning or pickling, always say I'm going to come fall but never get it done:)
xoKathleen